Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My carbon footprint

I measured my carbon footprint at http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/ & it was 2.59.

Most of the students have almost a similar footprint number. The average figure for CRE was 3.87. The main factors which contributed to my figure were classified as:

a) travel

b) stuff

c) food

Admitting the truth, I am, in a way, personally responsible for allowing the emission of a specific greenhouse gas that has a huge impact upon our world; the world of humans. True, a lot of companies, which include ADMC, emit such gases (footprint greenhouse gases), though UAE’s emission of such gases is the highest per head.

If I could reduce the harm I personally cause, then I would reduce using consumer goods and bathroom products. However, the problem is I don’t spend in any of the two mentioned sectors. In fact, the sector that contributes most to the addition of the gases is the car that I daily use. I can simply switch to using trains, but the problem is, trains are not available in Abu Dhabi, yet. I do realize the fact that public buses are available, but anyway, why would I use them when the distance from where I live at to my work takes only a few minutes? Not only this, but because I’ve realized that those public buses that millions use, daily, emit even more dangerous gases that harm the environment, by pollution. As to my personal use of airplanes, I only travel once a year.

However, this raises an important point, when I come to talk of the home I live in. In Bani Yas I currently live with my parents, so there’s nothing much I can do reduce the footprint of the harm I cause, except for turning off the durable goods, which I’m already doing.

Last but not least, my consumption of food can also play an important role to reduce my carbon footprint. As the quiz clearly stated, if I become a vegetarian, I would be considered as a person who lends a hand to the environment. However, I eat two meals a day, in order not to over consume food more than the quantity I am supposed to consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment